Week 7 – Research tools (8/6 – 14/6)

Delicious or Diigo

I am along time user of Delicious and remain to be convinced about the benefits of Diigo over Delicious.  For the purposes of this exercise (VICpln)I have created a Diigo account and imported my bookmarks – it does not appear that my Network will flow over.  This makes sense as people do not always have accounts in both places.   This will be a big stumbling block for me as I have a great Delicious network, in fact it is one of my best sources of new sites and the people in my Delicious network are probably part of my PLN (hadn’t thought of that before).

I find social bookmarking invaluable, it saves so much time.  The key is TAGGING.  If you don’t tag with useful remarks, you may as well not bookmark!  Delicious also allows for Bundling tags, and I use that feature to combine tags for Inquiry units or into subject areas or age appropriate groups (Junior etc).  I live by the motto, the more tags, the better (as long as they are relevant of course).    The more specific you can be, the more useful they will be later when you are searching.  For example, don’t just use maths – be specific, use multiplication, year5, etc

In most cases, if I need sites for particular purposes, I will go to Delicious before Google as I know that I have already sorted out relevant sites.

Installing the applet to your browser is important in the process as it means that at a click (or two) you have a site bookmarked, catalogued and remembered forever – or certainly easy to find again.

So, can anyone tell me why I should change?  Why Diigo and not Delicious?   I cant imagine using both – one will be enough.

My Delicious tags – represented via Tagxedo below

tagxedo

6 thoughts on “Week 7 – Research tools (8/6 – 14/6)

1. Please stay with Delicious as you’ve put so much into it and are happy with it. I like the groups in Diigo and ability to add sticky notes.

2. Thank you for all the tips on how to use Delicious. I have had a Delicious account for quite a few years now but I didn’t really know how to organise it properly. I will go through all my links an properly organise it.

3. Thanks Karen, I am not a librarian but have been shown how to catalogue (when assisting a wonderfully talented TL) and I compare tagging to adding subjects in a catalogue. It really helps to be specific, hope this helps make your delicious world more useful.

4. I haven’t tried diigo but started my delicious account a few weeks ago as a PLN task. I’m just getting the hang of it so thanks for the advice about using more tags. Your tag apple looks great.

5. Hmm…. Now I am really in a quandry! I’d used neither Delicious nor Diigo…. Had a quick play with both of them but at this stage explored Diigo more. Comments above make me wonder though if I made the right choice!

Finally have the time to read in slow motioin and am enjoying reading your journey!