it can’t be a bad thing …..
A month ago, whilst listening to Henrietta Miller present at the 2011 Reform Symposium, an idea was born. Okay, not a new idea but a version of an old one. In the Elluminate (on-line conference) room there were three Melbourne based educators who were inspired by the ideas presented by Henrietta of face to face meetings of like-minded educators. Through the ‘chat’ @Mr_Mitch_Hughes, @Aimee_Gale and I created the Melbourne version. #TMMelb as a Twitter hashtag was born. Mitch Hughes then very quickly started a wiki and that was the catalyst for the rest.
We already have a fair few interested members (could do with some more!) We have a date set for our first event (Fri 7 Oct – Pascoe Vale Primary School) and we have a few people who have expressed interest ……
We are in our infancy, but every good thing started somewhere. As far as I see it the benefits are enormous, including the obvious stated here :
- face to face meetings of people who have previously only connected via virtual means (Twitter, blogs etc)
- sharing of ideas amongst teachers from amazingly varied contexts – primary, secondary, class teachers, specialists, leaders etc
- an opportunity to view different learning spaces (Thanks to Margo Edgar from Pascoe Vale Primary for TM No 1)
- teachers who are pro-actively taking control of their own professional learning and embracing a philosophy that relies on the sharing of ideas
- evolving and allowing contributions from anyone who cares to contribute – for example, one teacher who happened upon this #TMMelb and has experienced similar ventures previously and is already offering wonderful perspectives such as the following video
So …. what’s next ? ….. I don’t know …. but I am happy to be along on the ride …..