What is the target, the purpose of your blogging adventure?
Blogs (within the educational sphere) can serve many purposes and for the sake of organisation of my thoughts, I will categorise blogs into three types : student, class and professional. I feel that defining the purpose is a significant point even if it is not clear at the beginning and even if it changes focus on the journey. It defines the audience and thereby structures the style and the content of the blog.
Student Blogs can be
- a showcase of work samples and examples of writing etc – a modern version of the pin-up board.
- on-line digital portfolios – and by this I mean they contain a strong reflective element to distinguish them from a showcase.
- on-line diary – a chronicle of events.
Class blogs can be
- used by teachers as a Learning management system – containing content and tasks. Often teachers who use this style pose questions and students are required to respond through comments.
- a showcase of student work entirely controlled and created by the teachers (early years in particular).
- a showcase of student work but display student content (more possible with independent writers).
- used as a newsletter of sorts – informing readers (parents) of events etc.
Professional blogs can be
- a receptacle for reflective practice for the teacher.
- a Professional digital portfolio – a positive digital footprint.
There is a spare space in each group, anyone care to add any more ideas? Continue the conversation, I am sure you have other purposes.